1617: A Look Backward. A Look Forward. - Wednesday
The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you. Romans 8:11
Raise your hand if you a made a New Year’s resolution? I didn’t. I probably should have, but I figured the disciplines in my life are in solid shape and I didn’t need to make some radical commitment to something I’d likely forget about eight days after I started. However, I did take time to inventory my life. Here are some questions I asked:
- Is there anything God is trying to tell me that I’ve ignored? Are there any instructions He’s given me that I’ve delayed obeying?
- What’s it like to live with me at home? Am I patient, kind, helpful, compassionate? Would my wife brag to her friends about how I’ve served her recently or complain about my complacency?
- Are my finances set up to honor God first?
- Am I spending enough time in prayer and God’s Word that people would notice if I wasn’t?
- Do I smile enough?
- Am I honoring and blessing my Mom (especially in light of my Dad’s passing a few years ago)?
- Have I given excellent effort at work this past year? Would my coworkers consider me an “extra-mile” guy or someone that does enough to get by?
- Do I love my neighbors?
- If my life circumstances crashed all around me, would I run from God in anger or would I stand dependent on Him and faithful in the midst of trial?
- Are my St. Louis Cardinals going to win the World Series this year?
Ok, admittedly some of that got a little deep, but writing this content helped me slow down and process some big questions. None of us have any clue what 2017 holds, but we can trust all of it to God. What’s awesome is He sent His Spirit to guide us. As a matter of fact the same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead lives inside those who trust Him.
- Let’s ask this question together today, “What does God want from me in 2017?” Let’s commit that we will rely on His Spirit to help make that happen.