As we have been going through the book of Matthew as a church, I’ve been taking time each week to focus some of my quiet time on this book. The way that my mind works is, I often get caught up on a word and try to see how often it’s used; when and where, and in what context. A word I decided to trace through Matthew is "Follow." Take a look.
- Matthew 4:19-20
- "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him.
- Matthew 8:18-22
When Jesus saw the crowd around him, he gave orders to cross to the other side of the lake. Then a teacher of the law came to him and said, "Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go."
Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head." Another disciple said to him, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father."
But Jesus told him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead."
- Matthew 10:37-39
- "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
- Matthew 16:24
- Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
- Matthew 19:21
- Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
- Matthew 19:27
- Peter answered him, "We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?"
Following Jesus is the call of my life.
Dave Rizer, Campus Pastor - Danville